The first practice for Pelynt Choir was on 4th October 1966 when a group of young men started singing a little more seriously following their participation in the village charity concert. Some of the founder members are still with the choir and just as young at heart!
The membership has slowly increased over the years to 35 members now, and we share our enjoyment of singing by giving concerts in churches, chapels, residential homes and various halls in Cornwall and further afield.
Since 1990 we have had an annual trip over the Tamar to many friendly churches and chapels, giving concerts from Ayrshire to Canterbury and Winchester Cathedrals. In April 2002 the Choir was invited to Rosporden in Brittany, where we performed two very successful concerts with Chorale des Etanges Choir.
To celebrate our 50 years, the Choir had a wonderful weekend away singing in four prestigious venues in Hampshire. Starting with Winchester Cathedral, we then sang in Christchurch, Winchester, followed by Romsey Abbey and then Christchurch Priory.
We have also joined together with other Cornish male choirs to sing in the Royal Albert Hall and Hall For Cornwall, and have participated in the bi-annual Cornish Male Choirs Festival. The concerts have raised considerable funds for various charities over the years, especially the local hospices.
Coming from the parish of Pelynt, home of the famous Bishop Jonathan Trelawny (1650-1721), 3rd Baronet of the Manor of Trelawne in Pelynt, we have been granted permission by the present Sir John Trelawny, our Choir Vice President, to be known as 'Trelawny's Men'. We are very proud to bear such a distinguished name, and we have a particularly warm and happy spirit, which we are fortunate to share with our musical director John Trethewey, and our accompanist Barry Jay.
Choristors receiving their 30 year certificates from Mr Terry Hodge
Mr John Trethewey
From an early age John has appreciated the beauty of harmony and serious music, coming from a musical family in which his father and grandparents sang in church and Philharmonic Choirs in Brighton. His musical career began at the age of nine as a boy chorister in Christchurch, Reading, progressing to Head Boy, and then principal counter-tenor. He studied piano under June Russell and later organ under Leslie Davis FRCO. At around 20 he realised his forte was in singing rather than playing and joined a number of large festival choruses as a counter-tenor, where his singing and solo work developed. His music experiences encompassing a wide range of liturgical and oratorio works from Byrd and Bach, Handel, Hadyn and Mozart, to Stamford, Elgar and Britten.
In 1970 John was posted as an Accountant with the MOD to the Lake District where he met Sheila and married in 1973. He was given his first conducting post there in 1972 as assistant in a medium sized SATB choir. Following a spell in The Borders of Scotland, where he sang in the local Church Choir and at choir festivals in St. Marys Cathedral Edinburgh, he and his family moved to Wootton Bassett, continuing as principal counter-tenor and then choirmaster of the church of St. Bartholomew. After moving to Cornwall in 1985 he became involved in St. Martins Church Choir in Looe and was invited to take over the Looe Valley Singers as musical director. He did this for six and a half years, and then in 1996 was invited to become the Musical Director of the Pelynt Male Voice Choir, adding another dimension to John's musical career. He and Sheila have three daughters and three grandsons, but only the middle daughter, Louise, has shown any musical talent and was a member of the Looe Valley Singers for several years.
Mr John Trethewy Tel 01503 262624
Mr Bernard Eastley Tel 01503 262837
Mr Nick Maiklem
Mr Robert Henly Tel 01503 240336
Mr Jim Hair
Mr David Julian